Friday, June 29, 2012

Clear 2012 - Week 3


Week 3 - Chicago, IL


Well, this week our team has traveled up to the grand ole city of Chicago.  Most of our team was surprised to learn that the entire east side of Illinois is mostly flat, and is nothing more than corn and a few windmills.   


And to say that coming up here has been a culture shock would be an understatement.  You could probably call it ignorance but I had no idea Chicago contains a large Hispanic population.  In conversation I have learned that the majority of the neighborhood is of Puerto Rican heritage.  I am now intrigued to do a little historical research about the city when I find the adequate time.  


Anyway, we have been working with Salem Christian School which is a ministry of New Life Covenant Church here in the city of Chicago.  The school is located in an old Lutheran church that was built in the 1890’s.  History tells us that the church closed in the early 1980’s and the school bought, and moved into the building.  So from an architectural and historical point, this is a pretty cool building.  Looking at it from a modern day comfort standpoint … not so much, but we are happy to be here serving the Lord, which I will tell you about next.


Ok, so this week we have helping do some renovation/maintenance work (cleaning, electrical, painting, cleaning bird poop from a bell tower, etc).  Yes, you read that right, quite a few members of our team were given the task of cleaning piles of old pigeon poop from the top of the school’s bell tower.  This was a nasty, but rewarding job for those involved.  Once it was cleaned, some of us went up that night and enjoyed a beautiful sunset along with a great view of the city of Chicago.  


While I was able to enjoy a piece of our teams hard work, most of my days were spent working on all things electrical.  Ron, the school’s maintenance guy, was extremely happy to have someone with an electrical background on the team as he has had a long list of items that needed to be fixed.  He’s probably been exploiting my limited skills as an electrician, but I don’t mind that because I’m one of those weird people that enjoys playing with wires.  


I’ve also had the chance to use this time to teach these skills to one of the other guys on my team.  God is definitely stretching me here as He’s basically given me someone to teach and mentor all day long.  


So while this week we are working, next week kids are coming!  Kids are one of the reasons Clear exists so we are extremely excited about that.  


Anyway, time for me to go. Try and see you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment