Thursday, September 19, 2013

Love is: Kind


So I’m sure you couldn’t help but notice that I’m writing on love a lot lately.  Well, this has sort of been an unplanned series of writings.  Since I’m enjoying this topic, I figure’d I would go ahead and make an actual series of writings.  Seeing that I’ve never really done this kind of thing before, we will see how it goes.  

Earlier this week I wrote about love being patient.  This week - Love is: Kind



To be kind, or kindness means the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.  

In short terms, I think that this quickly explains why love is kind.  I bet that typically when you think of kind people, you think of loving people.  If I were to ask you to think of someone who has been extremely kind to you in life, you could probably name them off quickly.  For some of us it would be our grandparents or parents.  Others of us its a friend or mentor.  Selfishly, I would hope that I came to mind in this exercise, but some of you may not know me so that’s ok.  

Anyway, kindness is expressed throughout the Bible.  Paul lists it as part of the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22,  in Colossians 3:12 as being part of a character that is holy, and compares it to us being like Christ in Ephesians 4:32.  Peter, one of the guys that actually walked the earth with Jesus, said that showing kindness is part of a growing christian’s life.  He also said that by not showing kindness, we are blind, short-sighted, and have forgotten the forgiveness Christ has given us freely on the cross.  

When I think of kindness, I think of all the people that have given freely to me without asking anything in return.  Recently, one of our friends at church pulled my wife and I aside and gave us all the cash he had in his wallet, and he didn’t even count it!  He told us that he remembered being young and not having a lot and wanted us to be able to go on a date, get groceries, or whatever we needed.  By doing that he was showing genuine kindness and generosity.  We were extremely humbled and gracious in that moment, because somebody decided to us some unconditional love.  

Kindness is a character trait I wish to have.  Right now I would say that most of the time I am kind.  There are times when I’m not, but most of the time I can claim this one.  I say this not to brag, but to say that if I can do it - you can do it.  I’ve been hard hearted in my life.  There were times I was racist, chauvinistic, homophobic and so on.  It’s taken work.  I believe that God has done a major work in my heart teaching me to love people.  Maybe that’s why I’m writing about it so much.  I believe in it.  

As I close I want to leave you with this question.  Something for you to ponder personally, or share with us.


Is it joyful or a chore for you to show kindness to others?




No comments:

Post a Comment